Wednesday 11 November 2015

Looking Back in Cringe I heard You Say

Cringe


This is the first time I have been on my blog for literally years and what on earth was I blabbering on about?! It makes me cringe so much reading the content but I supposed I needed to be there in order to get to here.

So what's changed, well I've finally escaped the curse of the Pendle Witches which was placed onto the City of Lancaster. I've moved onto pastures new to an extent, moving down to the big smoke that is London. New job, new city and the old cliché of new me.

I've decided that I really need to concentrate on my career, get a job and stop feeding off the petty scraps and lifestyle of Supply Teaching, I have had enough. I worked a whole year almost at a PRU in Lancaster which was a cushy number if I have to be honest but essentially no security and I was going nowhere, the school is at a transitional stage with a change of leadership and direction. There was no future there for me so I had to be proactive and get moving. I still keep in touch with a few old colleagues which is nice and I get the gossip still. 

The new job however is a breath of smoggy fresh air...

It's new, it's a new sector, a new challenge and I'm finally teaching the subjects I want to teach...all is good...however the college is going through turbulent times and the sector is taking a beating from the current government. 

Yesterday we were on strike, a national strike, and I'll be honest I wasn't really sure why I was on strike but yesterday was an education for me. I now know why I was striking but my perception on the strike is slightly different towards my union. The day enlightened me and encouraged me to think, assess and reflect. An extra £1 an hour would be lovely and all adds up but I feel that it is unrealistic and to be honest I can live without that for now. What I am more concerned about is the loss of jobs, funding and courses being destroyed in the Further Education Sector. ESOL being scrapped even though Big Dave wants immigrants to be able to speak English, is a big worry and somewhat silly choice. I believe in Further Education, not everyone gets the opportunity to go to fantastic private schools and amazing 6th forms with the chance to attend prestigious Universities. I understand that not everyone can go to University but everyone should be given the chance to achieve qualifications past GCSE level or less. If you don't succeed during your Secondary School you are basically done is the message I am getting. That is unfair. Where is the second chance or opportunity for those people who don't make it first time round for a whole variety of reasons. Anyway you get my view more or less.

The speakers however I was less convinced and motivated by. I get where they are coming from and the message of their objectives and mission is clear and all very similar but what I don't understand is how we are going to get there, what are we actually going to do?

Then there was the Trade Union Bill, that just made me think that it will be an even bigger struggle to achieve what they want. All those other Unions fighting for the same piece of the pie which isn't even that big to start with. The Government have huge tough decisions to make, I just hope they make the ones that help us all in the long run.

Now on the plus side I'm getting to see great places located in our nations capital. I've been to Camden, the City and a tiny bit of Bethnal Green. I will do more exploring but first there is work to be done which is plenty of effective planning, assessing, inspiring and motivating our students. 

I am glad I made the decision to come down to London, I just ask myself, what the hell have I got myself in for this time?   


No comments:

Post a Comment